What AVID is...
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 5-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented schoolwide and districtwide.
What AVID isn't...
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program.
Please see Ms. Adcock in Room 212 for the access code.
The AVID Student
AVID targets students in the academic middle -- 2.0-3.5 GPA and Basic and above CST scores -- who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These are students who are capable ...more